Saturday 28 January 2012

Wake up in New York, I'm starting to get used to this, Eggs Benedict and a bucket of Starbucks and I'm ready for the day of exploring, I found some great music shops around Bleecker street just off 7th Av south, notably The Music Inn, really quirky shop with very unusual instruments in, stuff I'd never seen before, I could have spent a day just working through the Ukes alone.
Pictured below is the famous Hotel Chelsea/Chelsea Hotel, I couldn't believe I actually stumbled upon this - many many many great writers, Artists, Actors, Musicians have lived in this building, Kerouac wrote "on the road" here, Arthur Miller wrote "Death of a Salesman" Dylan Thomas died here of pneumonia although I don't think that's any reflection on the Hotel, other notable residence: Charles Bukowski, William Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Mark Twain, Tennessee Williams, Leonard Cohen, Iggy Pop, Dee Dee Ramone, Johnny Thunders, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits to name but a few, This was also the building where Sid Vicious murdered Nancy Spungen, although again no reflection on the Hotel...
Its been closed for the past year for renovations as it's been bought by a real estate tycoon, all permanent residence policies have been terminated ready for the swish new look Chelsea Hotel, It gives me a sinking feeling.




1 comment: